Study Guide for ETA Solar Electricity Certification Program
UPDATED JUNE 2015!
Field tested by hundreds of students in schools around the U.S., this easy-to-follow text is designed to take an extremely "non-technical" student with zero background in PV, and literally teach them how to design and install a variety of residential PV systems.
This text is also designed to help prepare students who wish to sit for industry-accepted certification programs such as the ETA Level 1 PV Certification or the NABCEP PV Certificate Program. Each chapter contains multiple choice review questions, as well as labs that comply with "hands-on" requirement of the ETA certification.
Table of Contents: This 256-page textbook includes the following chapters:
* Introduction to Photovoltaics
* Solar Cells and Solar Modules
* Types of Photovoltaic Systems
* Basic Electrical Concepts
* Parts of the PV System
* Conducting a Site Survey
* Designing the System
* Installing the Balance of Systems
* Testing and Commissioning the System
* System Maintenance and Troubleshooting
also included... * Chapter Objectives
* 200 Chapter Review Questions
* 23 Hands-On Labs
* 150 Illustrations and Tables
* Easy-to-Read narrative
* Highlighted and Indexed Terms
* Updated with Changes from the 2014 NEC
The pedagogical features of this book were carefully developed to provide readers with key content information, as well as review and testing opportunities. These include:
- Over 250 pages of the latest information available in this rapidly developing field.
- Over 150 diagrams and tables designed to provide regular visual reinforcement and clarity of the concepts being discussed.
- The text follows closely the principles of STEM learning, exploring the basic Science that provides the foundation for each Technology discussed. The Engineering principles that make the technology work are explored in detail, as are the Mathematical concepts and equations that students must be able to complete if they are to have a well-rounded understanding of the technology.
- Each chapter begins with a list of learning objectives that establishes a foundation and preview of important concepts explored within the chapter.
- Key terms are presented in bold and highlighted in the margin for easy reference. They are also each defined in context within the chapter.
- Each chapter concludes with a multiple-choice question section to assist in reviewing the material. The multiple-choice questions test the knowledge of basic concepts presented within the chapter. The open-ended questions are designed to test and demonstrate critical thinking abilities.
- Lab exercises are also provided at the end of each chapter designed to not only reinforce the lessons of the chapter - but also fulfill the "hands on" requirements of the ETA PV Level examination.
- Classroom Power Points available that correspond to the text
- FREE Desk Copies available for review (simply contact us at
- Detailed answer keys for practice problems,
- Dozens of practice scenarios with answer key,
- Lab instruction and notes.
- Lab kits are also available.
- Updated annually.
- Electronic versions available.
- Discounts available for multiple copy orders.